18 Wheels of Steel: Pedal to the Metal
Truck driving game
Direct link to the latest official patch (retail - boxed - version only!):
Please note that technical support for this game is handled by:
If you have trouble with the downloadable demo version of the game...
- the ActiveMark time-lock protection system is developed and the game is
distributed online by TryMedia
- you can get technical support concerning Activation Code problems and other issues with the demo version from their TryGames game portal website.
Please keep in mind that
- SCS Software does not have the capacity to handle individual tech support problems
- when you are faced with a problem not described below, use the publisher's tech support facility to obtain help
List of known issues and possible workarounds
- I get a message saying: "We are sorry, but the operating system failed to provide the window to render game graphics in"
There are several possible causes for this to happen:
- Reportedly, some computer vendors ship even new machines with system
preconfigured but without proper drivers for the particular brand of 3D accelerator installed, including OpenGL support. Make sure to always have proper up to date 3D card drivers installed.
- Also some upgrades of Windows components (upgrade of DirectX, Service Pack application)
may require driver reinstallation afterwards.
- You may have your desktop color depth ("Color quality") in Windows set to 256 colors. Make sure you have Windows running in 16-bit or 32-bit color depth.
- Some users with WindowsXP Service Pack 2 installed on Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading enabled complain about this issue as well. The official patch 1.07 resolves the problems.
- You may be using a very old computer with hardware capabilities below minimum specifications required to run the game. Make sure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum requirements, especially the 3D graphics accelerator.
- I have installed a patch for the game, but now the game crashes anytime I try to access and change Controls in Options screen.
With 99% probabily you have mismatched versions of game data and game executables. We have seen this complaint several times, and each time it was a case of the user unpacking base.scs file into My Documents, then applying a patch, but failing to unpack the patch_xx.scs into My Documents as well. Also, if you have installed any "mod" recently, it is very likely that this is the culprit.
You need to completely uninstall the game, delete 18 WoS Pedal to the Metal folder from My Documents, install the game from scratch, and then on this clean installation apply the latest patch. Once you get the game working, be very careful about the mods you are adding, and think twice about unpacking the whole of base.scs into My Documents.
- Steering sensitivity is too high, the truck reacts way too fast when I am trying to steer.
We have seen reports where users of certain steering wheel hardware types complain of too high steering sensitivity. The official patch adds a new slider to the Options screen to give the user more flexibility when setting steering wheel as well as keyboard steering sensitivity.
- What is the difference between the retail package version and the downloadable demo version of the game after I activate it?
There is no difference. The demo is an official release of the full game; it is identical to the retail game - all the content from the retail version is contained in the downloadable version as well. The only difference is the time limit. The size is identical, slightly above 90 MB when installed. In fact, the downloadable game is version 1.01 and already has a few small fixes in it compared to the retail version 1.0. So if you have unlocked the demo by paying $20 with your credit card, rest assured that you definitely have not been cheated. The online version is distributed with the official blessing of ValuSoft, the game's publisher, by a company called TryMedia through their TryGames.com portal as well as several affiliate web sites. If you have any problems registering the game, or with the game's time-limit protection system (it's called ActiveMark, and in principle it's a similar system to how WindowsXP has to be "activated" for instance), go to their website at www.trygames.com to request their technical support.
- Some of the voiceovers in the CB are mixed up
This is a known issue that has been fixed in the official patch.
- My game is sometimes like a slide show in the cities
If you encounter stuttering framerate, it means that you are playing the game with the quality settings set too high for your computer. Try lowering some of the settings in Options - Screen Resolution, Color Depth, Texture quality, Texture detail or Texture Sharpness and see whether it helps. You may also want to decrease Viewing distance or Traffic Density in the Game tab of the Options screen. It is also worth looking into upgrading your videocard drivers, as their performance sometimes improves with newer version.
- I cannot get the right side mirror to display along with the left side mirror.
The game will only show the right side mirror when you do not have the on-screen map displayed. Otherwise the screen would be too cluttered to fit everything on it.
- When are you going to release the first patch for the downloadable version of the game?
The patch is going through final testing, it should be out in a matter of days. Your patience is deeply appreciated
This is a list of what patch 1.07 has fixed:
- fixed game not starting on computers with P4 & Hyperthreading
enabled or dual CPU with WinXP SP2
- AI trafic - braking lights fixed
- steering sensitivity: added a nonlinearity slider
- slight braking delay removed
- motor brake turned off automatically when you accelerate
- voiceover sounds fixed
- advanced horns position fixed
- empty/full texture fixed in several interiors
- brake pedal for wheel controllers more sensitive
- Gamepad/joystick - steering sensitivity range for the slider in Options/Controls further extended
- keyboard control - increased steering precision, speed-adaptive steering sensitivity
- the job planner in notebook now does no longer offer jobs for planning that the AI drivers wouldn't be able to deliver on time.
SCS Software - Simulation games development since 1997